Carla del Ponte, 70, who prosecuted war crimes in Rwanda and former Yugoslavia, told a panel discussion on the sidelines of the Locarno Film Festival that she had already prepared her letter of resignation.
“I am quitting this commission, which is not backed by any political will,” she said, adding that her role was just an “alibi.”
“I have no power as long as the Security Council does nothing,” she said. “We are powerless, there is no justice for Syria.”
Del Ponte, a former Swiss attorney general, joined the three-member Syria inquiry in September 2012, chronicling incidents such as chemical weapons attacks, a genocide against Iraq’s Yazidi population, siege tactics, and the bombing of aid convoys.
She could not immediately be reached for comment and the United Nations did not immediately confirm her plans to quit.
Her departure will leave only two commissioners, Brazilain human rights expert Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro, and Karen Koning AbuZayd from the United States.
The commission was set up in August 2011 and has regularly reported on human rights violations, but its pleas to observe international law have largely fallen on deaf ears.
Although the United Nations is setting up a new body to prepare prosecutions, there is no sign of any court being established to try war crimes committed in the six-and-a-half year-old war, nor of any intention by the U.N. Security Council to refer the situation to the International Criminal Court in the Hague
Del Ponte’s determination to be independent made her outspoken and occasionally controversial. She shocked Western governments in May 2013 by declaring that the United Nations had “strong suspicions” of Syrian rebels using sarin gas.
Two years later, she said justice would catch up with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, even if he remained in power under a negotiated peace settlement.
Earlier this year, when the commission reported on Syrian government aircraft deliberately bombing and strafing a humanitarian convoy, del Ponte hinted at her frustration with the inability to bring the perpetrators to justice.
“What we have seen here in Syria, I never saw that in Rwanda, or in former Yugoslavia, in the Balkans. It is really a big tragedy,” she added. “Unfortunately we have no tribunal.”
This episode describes. making of magnets, how to they working on it. Video mad by discovery uk.
Vivo sub-brand iQOO has launched the company’s latest 5G smartphone- iQOO Z1x 5G in China on July 9, 2020.
Honor has just launched the Honor 9A smartphone for the global markets and the price starts from €149.90 (US$ 169.6 / Rs. 12,810). Read on to know more.
Honor has just confirmed the launch date of the company's next new 5G smartphone- Honor X10 Max on Weibo.
Realme is all set to launch its new Realme C11 smartphone with MediaTek Helio G35 SoC in Malaysia.
Realme has launched its new Nazro series smartphone- Realme Nazro 10A alongside the Realme Narzo 10 in India. The Next sale of Realme Nazro 10A will be held on June 23 via Flipkart and the Realme India website.
Vivo has just launched the company's latest smartphone Vivo V19 in India as expected.
Realme has launched the company’s latest Nazro series smartphones- Realme Nazro 10 and Nazro 10A in India.
Here is the first look of LG's new entry-level/midrange smartphone - LG Stylo 6 which was shared by reliable leakster Evan Blass.