The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack which wrought carnage near the Lahore Technology Park in the centre of the city. Police deployed to clear street vendors from the area had been targeted, a police official said.
"We suspect that he (the suicide bomber) came on a motorcycle and he rammed it into a police checkpoint," Lahore police operations chief Haider Ashraf told Reuters.
Rescue workers shifted the wounded to hospital and police officers cordoned off the bomb site as army troops also arrived at the scene.
"The death toll we have now is 25 dead and 52 are wounded," said Jam Sajjad Hussain, spokesman for the Rescue 1122 service.
A wounded man sitting on the roadside was shown crying in pain on television amidst cars and motorcycles mangled by the blast.
The bombing was claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban, also known as the Pakistani Taliban, in a message sent to the media by spokesman Muhammad Khurassani. The Pakistani Taliban are loosely allied with Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents but focus their attacks on the Pakistani government.
Bomb blasts by militants are common in Pakistan, especially in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, but attacks in Lahore have become less frequent in recent years.
Haider Ashraf, deputy inspector general of Punjab police, said the blast was a suicide attack and "police were the target".
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said the majority of those killed and wounded were police and warned the death toll could rise.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the blast in a statement and directed medical efforts for those injured.
In early April, a suicide attack on an army census team that killed at least six people and wounded 18 in Lahore was also claimed by the Pakistani Taliban.
After a series of attacks in February, including two in Lahore that killed over 20 people, Pakistan's powerful military began a nationwide crackdown on militants.
Additional reporting by Saud Mehsud; Writing by Drazen Jorgic; Editing by Nick Macfie and Richard Balmforth
Vivo sub-brand iQOO has launched the company’s latest 5G smartphone- iQOO Z1x 5G in China on July 9, 2020.
Honor has just launched the Honor 9A smartphone for the global markets and the price starts from €149.90 (US$ 169.6 / Rs. 12,810). Read on to know more.
Honor has just confirmed the launch date of the company's next new 5G smartphone- Honor X10 Max on Weibo.
Realme is all set to launch its new Realme C11 smartphone with MediaTek Helio G35 SoC in Malaysia.
Realme has launched its new Nazro series smartphone- Realme Nazro 10A alongside the Realme Narzo 10 in India. The Next sale of Realme Nazro 10A will be held on June 23 via Flipkart and the Realme India website.
Vivo has just launched the company's latest smartphone Vivo V19 in India as expected.
Realme has launched the company’s latest Nazro series smartphones- Realme Nazro 10 and Nazro 10A in India.
Here is the first look of LG's new entry-level/midrange smartphone - LG Stylo 6 which was shared by reliable leakster Evan Blass.
Xiaomi India has just unveiled it's latest flagship killer- Xiaomi Mi 10 5G smartphone in India.
After several teasers and rumors, LG has finally unveiled the company's latest 5G smartphone- LG Velvet on May 7 in South Korea. The company has also revealed the pricing and availability details of the phone.