Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, addressing the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva on Monday, said that more than 270,000 people had fled to Bangladesh, with more trapped on the border, amid reports of the burning of villages and extrajudicial killings.
"I call on the government to end its current cruel military operation, with accountability for all violations that have occurred, and to reverse the pattern of severe and widespread discrimination against the Rohingya population," Zeid said.
"The situation seems a textbook example of ethnic cleansing."
The UN chief's warning comes a day after Bangladesh's foreign minister said "a genocide" is being waged in the country's violence-hit Rakhine state.
"The international community is saying it is a genocide. We also say it is a genocide," AH Mahmood Ali told reporters after briefing diplomats in Dhaka on Sunday.
Ali described actions following the attacks on security forces on August 25 as "revenge" by Myanmar troops.
"Should all people be killed? Should all villages be burnt? It is not acceptable," he said, adding Dhaka was seeking a peaceful solution, not a "war" against Myanmar.
"We did not create the problem. Since the problem started in Myanmar, that's why they should resolve. We have said we'll help them," he said, adding that the problem took a "new turn" after the August 25 attacks.
The minister's comments come as the chair of Bangladesh's National Commission for Human Rights said leading figures in Myanmar could face trial for "genocide" at an international tribunal.
"The way the genocide has been carried out in Myanmar, the way the people were killed in arson attacks, we are thinking about pressing for a trial against Myanmar, and against the Myanmar army, at an international tribunal," Kazi Reazul Hoque said on Sunday while visiting a refugee camp in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar district, near the border with Myanmar.
"We will come to a decision after assessing what are the steps that should be taken to that end. And at the same time we urge the international community to come forward with their help," Hoque said.
Xiaomi was launched it's budget-friendly smartphone Redmi Note 8 in last month in India, alongside Redmi Note 8 Pro. Now Xiaomi has announced that the Redmi Note 8 smartphone will go for a sale on November 12 in India.
Xiaomi was launched it's budget-friendly smartphone Redmi Note 8 in India last month back. Yesterday Redmi Note 8 went for a sale in Amazon as part of its weekly flash sales. Once again Xiaomi has revealed the Redmi Note 8 next sales date on its website. Read on for all the details about the Redmi Note 8 sales details, including its price in India, specifications, and sale offers.
Looking for the best 4G smartphones under Rs 15,000 right now? Here we have listed out the best mobiles under Rs 15,000 in India for November 2019 based on their specs, performance, price and more. These are the best phones available in the market right now for this budget.
Samsung Galaxy A30s and Galaxy A50s launched in India in September 2019. Now Both Galaxy A50s and A30s have been received price cut in India.
Looking to buy a new smartphone under RS.7,000? Here, we'll tell you which smartphones are the best to buy in India right now.
Xiaomi has finally launched the long-time rumored smartphone Redmi Note 8T in France on Wednesday.
Xiaomi has launched its first 108MP Penta camera setup smartphone "Mi CC9 Pro" on November 5 in China. Yesterday it introduced its global version-Mi Note 10 in Spain.
Realme X2 pro was launched in China last month with the starting price of CNY 2699. Now the Realme X2 Pro is all set to launch on November 20 in India.
Xiaomi's Redmi Note 8 Pro smartphone made its debut in India last month and has been made available for flash sale ever since. Today the Redmi Note 8 Pro is set to go on sale in India at 12PM via Amazon and Mi.com.
Xiaomi will unveil the world's first Penta camera setup smartphone "Mi CC9 Pro" in China on November 5. Meanwhile, Xiaomi has officially announced the launch date of Mi Note 10 on its twitter page. The Mi Note 10, which is said to be a global version of Mi CC9 Pro will be launched on November 6 in Madrid, Spain.