It happened at the hands of a Toronto police officer and his brother, according to the victim's lawyer, Julian Falconer.
While 20-year-old Dafonte Miller awaits surgery to remove the eye injured in the incident, Toronto police Const. Michael Theriault and his brother Christian Theriault, a civilian, are facing multiple charges for allegedly chasing down and repeatedly beating Miller with a steel pipe, Falconer says. On Friday, the Theriaults' lawyers attended the pair's first court appearance on their behalf to argue the conditions of their bail.
The case has taken twists and turns to reach this point. When the incident happened last year, Miller initially faced charges amid an investigation from Durham Regional Police, the force attending the scene that night.
But in May, those charges were withdrawn, just days after Falconer reported the incident to the Special Investigations Unit, the provincial civilian oversight agency that investigates circumstances involving police that have resulted in a death, serious injury, or allegations of sexual assault.
What happened that night in December prompted the SIU to lay aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and public mischief charges against both Theriaults, saying they "acted together."
But those charges came seven months after the incident, and were the result of a lawyer flagging the case for the SIU, not either of the police forces involved.
As public calls for more information grew louder, Toronto police chief Mark Saunders announced on Thursday that the Waterloo Regional Police will be responsible for an internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the alleged assault. "As soon as legally possible, that report will then be made public," he said in a statement.
Now, as the case now works its way through the legal system amid ongoing public outcry — and under the spotlight of the internal investigation — there are, as Mayor John Tory recently put it, many "unanswered questions."
Honor has just launched the Honor 9A smartphone for the global markets and the price starts from €149.90 (US$ 169.6 / Rs. 12,810). Read on to know more.
Honor has just confirmed the launch date of the company's next new 5G smartphone- Honor X10 Max on Weibo.
Realme is all set to launch its new Realme C11 smartphone with MediaTek Helio G35 SoC in Malaysia.
Realme has launched its new Nazro series smartphone- Realme Nazro 10A alongside the Realme Narzo 10 in India. The Next sale of Realme Nazro 10A will be held on June 23 via Flipkart and the Realme India website.
Vivo has just launched the company's latest smartphone Vivo V19 in India as expected.
Realme has launched the company’s latest Nazro series smartphones- Realme Nazro 10 and Nazro 10A in India.
Here is the first look of LG's new entry-level/midrange smartphone - LG Stylo 6 which was shared by reliable leakster Evan Blass.
Xiaomi India has just unveiled it's latest flagship killer- Xiaomi Mi 10 5G smartphone in India.
After several teasers and rumors, LG has finally unveiled the company's latest 5G smartphone- LG Velvet on May 7 in South Korea. The company has also revealed the pricing and availability details of the phone.
Now, LG has started pre-registration for its LG G8X ThinQ smartphone and other products as the coronavirus lockdown in India continues.